Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Photos for front cover

When I was taking the shot I knew I wanted to take a picture with the lead singer of the band standing in front of the other 2 members, but I didn't know which kind of background would look best or whether a landscape or portrait shot would look best. To ensure I got the right photo I took a photo from all 3 perspectives, I will now use audience feedback to choose which of the shots I will use on my front cover. To clear up any confusion Rob is on the left, Ashley in the middle and Henry is on the right.

Photos with sky in the background
               Photo A                                      Photo B                                                Photo C


 I chose to try shots with the sky because it would make the photos lighter and it would surely make the models stand out more. I was told that out of these C was the worst shot because the right hand side of the photo is too light making the picture at times hard to look at. I also don't like the pose, Henry (far right) is leaning over to the right and looks as if he is about to fall over. There are similar problems with Ashley(middle) as he is pulling an awkward smile and his hands are digging into his pockets. Overall the photo was just staged and posed incorrectly. The type of shot contributed to me not choosing it, the low angle shot means showing the model's legs after trying the photo out on the template I have, having the model's legs on the cover will not work and it will lead to their heads being over the title.

Photo B is better but there are again problems with the posing, the photo is intended to be quite serious so ideally the models will be staring off into the distance with straight faces. This is why I couldn't really use this shot because Henry(far right) is smiling. This was spotted by my audience, they told me that the shot would look ok if they all were smiling or they all weren't but not if they were doing different things. Another problem with the models is Ashley's hair his hair is over his eyes, in the interest of the photo I would rather you could see all of the model's eyes. There is also the problem with the light in the right hand corner again but it is a little reduced this time.

In the end I decided that photo A was the best out of these shots, this is because the problem of lighting is reduced as the sun isn't so bright. The audience said that it is the best posed photo of the three as there is a splash of red to link with the logo and all of the model's faces match unlike in the other three. Although in the end I chose not to go with any of these photos because I realised I hadn't quite positioned the models properly as Ashley wasn't standing in front of the other two like I had planned and they weren't looking in different directions like I intended too.
Photos against the wall

         Photo D                                                     Photo E                                       Photo F

  Photo G                                        Photo H






                Photo I    

After I eliminated all of the pictures with the sky in the background I knew these were my options for my front cover. Me any my audience discounted photo F and H for obvious reasons. It would simply make my magazine look unprofessional and like a joke. I received some positive feedback about the staging and the background for photo I but I realised that it would not work because the photo is landscape. When I put it onto the page I had to squeeze the picture to fit it on, this distorted the faces and made them seem unusually thin it also meant that there wasn't enough space to feel the whole page. I then left my self with a straight choice between two photos after I eliminated G, I did this because Ashley's jacket is folded over his shoulder and there is too much of the guttering above. The guttering will make the photo look unprofessional, I could crop it but I would have preferred to just use a photo were all of the wall is showing. In the end I chose to use E because of the speckled lighting effect created by the trees, I chose it ahead of D because there is too much space between the models when they are all looking id different directions and there is a slab in the wall disrupting the brick wall effect.
So I will be using photo E, soon I will post my first draft of my front cover with the on.

No comments:

Post a Comment