As there are very few physical magazines on the market purely about Indie music it was hard for me to find an outlet that would distribute my magazine. A lot of magazines such as Q focus on artists that are signed to the major labels such as Muse who are signed to Warner Bros. Due to this fact I think that Music Scene would have a large online presence either through online stores such as Amazon and Apple Store or through it's own website, that could be promoted through social media such as Facebook and Twitter. On the Music Scene website there would be a small monthly subscription which if paid would allow the user the chance to access the latest copies early and completely online. This is important as like the artists themselves the Internet is becoming more and more important for the Independent music market, it is seen as a great leveler. By having a website Music Scene would be available to all at any time.
In terms of distributing physical copies I would expect someone such as IPC media to distribute my magazine, this is because they produce NME who often bring stories about Indie artists to their audiences and I think Music Scene would support this well. I also feel that a company such as MAMA&Company would be interested in this magazine. They were the publishers of the few Indie music magazines called 'The Fly.' The fly went out of business this year and I believe that MAMA would be interested in getting back into the market. I feel that their experience of distributing this kind of music magazine would be very beneficial to Music Scene.
I can also see Music Scene being sold in some newsagents and supermarkets. Defiantly supermarkets as they have a large range of magazines and have a lot of sub genres within their ranges too. For example when a lot of them sell music magazines they have Pop, Rock and Indie sections. I believe diversifying their range would appeal to supermarkets. But I think it might be a bit harder to get Music Scene sold in all newsagents as some of them will only sell a small selection of music magazines and will only be interested in ones featuring worldwide known artists as they think they would be able to sell it easier. Although I could definitely see Music Scene being sold in the few remaining record shops on the high street, as we know many are struggling and are almost becoming out of fashion. So I think selling magazine about their genre of music will appeal to them as it will potentialy boost their falling profits.
No comments:
Post a Comment