Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Front Cover mock up



When creating this mock up I have planned out the layout and the articles that will appear, although these were already planned for on my spider diagrams. I features the title TMS(the music scene) because I am sure that this will be the title of my final piece. Although not a lot should be read into the font that I have drawn the logo in. This is because I have not yet put a lot of thought into what the font will be. Soon I will produce a survey for my audience to tell me which font from a choice represents Indie music to them most. The final decision will ultimately rest upon the most popular answer.

Due to my lack of artistic skills I have not drawn the people that will feature in great detail, although I have planned out the photo I want to take to put there. I will be using 3 models as my double page spread will feature a report on a new up and coming band. As I don't want much block colour I want the photo to take up the whole of the front cover. By this I mean I want the text at the bottom to overlap the photo. To make sure the text can still be read, I will make sure the person standing at the front will be wearing a dark coloured coat perhaps black. This will make sure the white can still be read clearly without the audience having to strain. I will put the lead singer of the band at the front of the photo, this will make sure the audience are aware of the positions in the band straight away. I will aim to only feature the body of the model at the forefront,this is because their dark clothing will make it easy to read the text. Too many bodies will make it the photo seem cluttered. It would also mean that the other two would also have to wear dark clothes I don't want them to do this as it will make the photo seem boring to look at. I think a low angle shot will be best, this will allow me to make the models seem bigger and more impressive. This will also allow me to only photograph up to the shoulders of the person standing in front of the other two. I am planning to use lighting, I will beam it up from a low angle also to make the models stand out on the page. I am not worried about my magazine having blank space as the text about my articles is at the top and the bottom. This allows the band to take up as much space as they need because I don't have articles to squeeze around them. I deliberately designed them this way so I was not restricted in terms of the pose of my photograph.

I tried hard when thinking of my articles to make them generally appealing to the audience. To do this I decided to make a competition, I put the word WIN in large letters. This will stand out from all the rest of the publications on the newsagent's shelf. I also left the competition sound deliberately vague, I wrote signed record sleeves without saying by whose records they were. This will attract people to buy it to find out who or at least pick it up and read it to find out who. A recurring theme through my magazine is audience participation, this is further reinforced by the articles I have used on my front cover. I incorporated a vote about the best Indie songs as voted by the audience, this will invite the audience to buy my magazine as they feel they have contributed. I also tried to make my articles seem interesting instead of just having bog standard reviews and interviews. I did this by saying 'ADELE' but they writing 'an exclusive look at her new album tipped to bring the industry out of its slump.' This draws in the reader and has a lot more of an affect than Adele an exclusive look at her new album.

I will now create computerized versions of these and seek feedback as it is hard for people to give feedback on a pencil drawing without colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment