Thursday, 17 October 2013

Preliminary task research




I had trouble finding a school magazine I could analyse as many of them are produced by students and were quite amateurish. Although as my preliminary task is a school newspaper for TDA I chose to analyse the school's own magazine.

Analysis 

  • Coloured boxes help to promote the school and instill a sense of pride. As they tell of positive things going on around the school.
  • The theme of pride is continued with the slogan near the top. It promotes the school and is aimed to impress any external readers
  • The month and year makes it easy to tell issues apart and organise them if you have many
  • The 6 coloured boxes help to create a consistent and appropriate house style as they are the college colours of the school. This is supported by the badge
  •  The large word 'news' tells you straight away exactly what you're reading and helps you to make a judgement on whether you want to read it straight away
  • The low angle establishing shot emphasises the enormity of the school and makes it seem more impressive this helps to attract people's attentions to the cover
  • There is a link to the school's website to try and advertise it and get more people to visit it
Although...
  • There is a lot of grey used on the header and footer and in the main picture itself, although there are blocks of colour the cover is quite dim and unattractive to look at
  • The TDA logo doesn't fit on the page I can't see the effect it is trying to create so I think it should be shrunk so it all fits
  • The photo is a general photo of the school, it doesn't link to any article inside the magazine which isn't what you'd expect to see. In my magazine I want my front cover to be relevant to the main article inside 

No comments:

Post a Comment