Monday, 24 February 2014

Main photo for contents page

These are the 3 shots I have taken for my contents page, to be sure I got the perfect photo I took 3 all from different angles one from the left one from the right and one straight on. I wasn't sure which of them I was going to use so I asked for audience feedback on general opinions on the photos and which one you think I should use. The positives and negatives that are listed below are audience suggested. I did this by asking people and using social networking mediums such as Twitter this feedback ultimately helped me to choose the shot I am using.

Photo A
Positive
  • Just like B the looking off into the distance pose works well
Negative
  • The jacket and the coat don't look very tidy
  • The focus of the photo is on the top of the guitar, the focus should probably be on the main body
  • Ashley's hand is at an angle which doesn't look natural
  • The photo would need cropping as the groin is being exposed
Overall I felt that this photo just didn't work there were lost of little details that didn't go right. The clothes, the positioning of the hand and the lack of the guitar showing were all features that contributed to me rejecting the photo. The background was ok but there is a British flag in the background, its there without adding anything to the photo and it doesn't bear any link with the article. Although the background is mainly one colour I would have preferred it to be the sky rather than trees. 
Photo B
Positive
  • The looking off into the distance pose is effective
  • More of the guitar is being shown than in A
  • The neck of the guitar hides the messy looking clothes seen in the first picture
Negative
  • The angle showing the groin is even worse in this shot
  • The tree is in the centre of the shot, as it is quite big it attracts the attention away from the models face
  • There wouldn't be much space to put any sort of caption of the photo as the tree takes up most of the background
  • Posing the photo with the models legs closed would perhaps work better
I also rejected this photo there were two main reasons, the first was the large tree in the background, I just felt although its not at the forefront it was still dominating and took attention away from the model who should be the centre of attention. The other problem was the angle the picture shows a lot of the models groin so I felt it would be inappropriate for me to use.
Photo C
Positive
  • There is a clear background that will be easy for me to add the page number and info box onto
  • There is more of the guitar showing which makes it one of the main features of the photo, in the others it is small too small or too overpowering
  • There is no hair in the way or just above the eyes, also you can see more of the eyes than the other photos
  • The untidy clothing isn't visible 
Negative
  • There is still a tree in the background
  • There is a small sticker on the box 
In the end I chose to use this photo as my audience and I couldn't find any real faults with it. I think that it meets all of the criteria I have set. There is a clear sky which allows me to position a caption, the guitar becomes important as it is more noticeable than in the other photos and it has more of a connection with the readers because you can see more of the eyes. There are only small negatives but they are not really an issue like they are in the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment